I wonder what the line is in trying to be a supportive parent and a realist. "Sweet Pea" had a complaint about her mother that while she was growing up she had big dreams -- a singer, dancer, home decorator, and many other things. While some were obviously a huge stretch but others I believe that if that was what she wanted she could have obtained, but I tend to believe if a person works hard enough one way or another everything eventually works out.
I understand that "Sweet Pea's" mother was trying to protect her from disappointment, but at the same time couldn't be a little supportive with the dreams that could potentially be obtainable?
If any one was to support your ideas shouldn't it be your own mother? It's hard to be confident in yourself and abilities when the people who should support you most, don't. Where does a parent draw the line?
15 years ago
1 comment:
I draw the line with my checkbook. I tell the kids they get one extra activity. But my oldest flips from one thing to another so she's kinda good at several things but not super at anything. So the next ones I've been a little more strict. But good point a mother should support and it's a fine line between dreams and reality.
Post a Comment