When Lady and Toad went on their first date 7 years, 1 month and 26 days ago the first date was not a movie, but a baseball game. Second date was curling at the, then newly opened, Ogden Ice Sheet. Then the creativity ended and just about every date that followed was a movie. That's not necessarily a bad thing - it just points out the fact that between the summer of 2001-2003 if a movie opened, good or bad, I have probably seen it. (A-I: not good)
I had saved all of the movie stubs from our first year of dating with the idea of putting them into a scrapbook. They have since moved on to a better place, once I finally convinced myself that no matter how much I think I should want to scrapbook, it really isn't for me. Congratulations to those who have patience, creativity and ambition. I wish I could be more like you.
I have seen a fair share of guy movies and in the beginning, Toad saw a good chunk of girl movies, too. Now I go to "girl" movies with girlfriends or sisters, and see the "boy" movies with the Toad. I don't mind too much, because they are generally pretty good, other than X-Men.
At one of the last movies we went to, a preview for the Star Wars: The Clone Wars was shown. An animated cartoon of the iconic Clone Wars from the Star Wars folklore. Each time we saw previews on TV, Toad's face would light with child-like excitement for the opening of a new chapter in his sci-fi world. At the gym one evening, when the commerical came on, I knew I was going to see this movie. My enthusiasm seemed to wane each time the commericial came on. I had the sinking feeling this movie would not be good and a knot in my stomach knowing that I would have to sit through this film.
When the movie opened on Friday, I timidly checked the movie reviews. Ouch 1 1/2 stars. Not good. I kept looking review, after review (okay, I honestly only looked at 3 reviews) confirmed my fears - the movie was NOT GOOD.
As I carefully mentioned the reviews that I read to the Toad, he quickly went to his arsenal of movie websites and saw that review after review this movie would not even be worth the matinee price. While he may have been a teensy bit disappointed, his much more rational, grown up side decided that it would not be worth seeing afterall.
One of the greatest characteristics of Toad is his unfailing ability to see greatness or not-so-greatness and being able to take it all in stride. While he may have been disappointed that this film was going to be abominable, he never let it show. He is also very good at compartimentalizing and rationalizing his way around things. In the end, I was saved from 158 minutes of cartoon prison because his better self knew that it would not be worth it. Not all was lost for the Toad, though. He did get a Lego Star Wars video game (at the request of the Lady) to compensate for the pain. (BTW, a very "cute" game.)
While Toad has a very rational side, that is something the Lady needs a lot of work on. Perhaps that's why I find this quality so refreshing. Not only did we not get to see the movie he wanted, he endured going to events for me. (A blog for another time.)



1 comment:
AI was the worst movie ever made, and you deserve to win the Wife of the Millenium award.
Post a Comment