Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A world of color - almost

Am I the only person who has a better life in her head that in reality?

Granted, I have a pretty great life. I am very blessed and am incredibly glad for the things and opportunities I have been given. But, being a perfectionist – it is hard not to have things just the way I want them. (It also doesn’t help that 9 times out of 10 – I have no idea what I want).

Today’s rant is brought to you courtesy of my living room. Several years ago when we bought our home – all of the holes left from the prior owner’s art drove me crazy. I filled some of the holes in, but I could still see them. Many of them were probably not visible anymore, but knowing they were once their drove me a little crazy.

Over the holidays I found a couple of Home Depot gift cards and decided that once the Christmas decorations were put away I would finally begin the much discussed quest of painting. I toyed with the idea of having a painter, but the idea of taking time off to be home and the price convinced me that we could do it ourselves.

Picking out the colors was easy. I found a “hazelnut creme” and “skipper” (a deep blue/grey) that were pretty. We picked up the gallons and headed home. My “hazelnut creme” ended up being – well, white and “skpper” ended up being a baby blue with a touch of grey. Grrrr. Oh well, it covers up the nail holes

I am to the point where I am frustrated that my house is torn apart and I have so much more to go. This last weekend I got one coat of a two foot space painted. I have a feeling it will be August before my house is put back together.

To top it off – I was looking for sconces this evening and found a red painting that I loved. I wonder what Toad will think about painting the room red. (An on-going battle I have yet to win….)

No comments:

Books read in 2009

  • The Great and Terrible, Vol 6 (Clear as the Moon)
  • The Great and Terrible, Vol 5 (From the End of Heaven)
  • The Great and Terrible, Vol 4 (Fury and Light)
  • The Great and Terrible, Vol 3 (The Second Sun)
  • The Great and Terrible, Vol 2 (Where Angels Fall)
  • The Great and Terrible, Vol 1 (The Brothers)
  • A Free Life by Ha Jin
  • The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Favorite Thoughts

"Our values develop our character & our character creates our destiny. When we're out of touch with our values, we are blown like autumn leaves, caught up in mindless routines...but when we affirm our guiding values, our lives are inspired by our deepest beliefs." ~Diane Dreher, Ph.D. Your Personal Renaissance

"Nothing is a waste of time." ~Rodin

"To know life is to love many things." ~Vincent Van Gogh

"...when pain is over, the remembrance of it often becomes a pleasure. One does not love a place the less for having suffered in it, unless it has all been suffering..." A. Elliot in Persuasion by J. Austen