Monday, January 3, 2011

2010 in review

It seems like all my days are the same and run together until I took a minute to realize that another year has come and gone.  Amazingly all those mundane days resulted in a busy, okay year.  Everything changes and yet seems to stay the same.

In the fall hubby and I discovered that we would be welcoming our first child.  I had been so, so, so tired and run down.  I thought it was related to the stress of work, but around the time I became so tired the stressful work conditions had been resolved and were almost history.  My boss asked me if I could be pregnant.  I laughed and told her no way, impossible and then I wondered.... 

I had long since given up on the idea of having a family of my own and I really enjoy just spending time with my husband - just us.  Sure, 50 years down the road we may be lonely, but for now, it is pure bliss.  While we don't have a huge income - we have enough for what we need and enough to plan to make changes to our house, take vacations, and do whatever we want.

I wish I could say I was thrilled when I saw the little "+" on the dip stick.  I wasn't upset or anything, I just thought "Well, that's different."  I left a "present" for hubby when he came home with the news and I got a text back "Wow".  He's excited, but it's a shock for us both. 

The news has been very overwhelming, but at the appointment at the doctor did an ultrasound and we saw the heartbeat and little arm.  It's hard not to be just a little excited at that point, but I was still overwhelmed and wouldn't say "excited".  Twelve weeks later we were at the 20 week ultrasound where we were able to find out the gender of our child.  At that point - it's impossible not be in love.  I don't know that I'll be a very good mom, but there's no doubt I will love my child.

I am excited for April 30th - when we will meet my son.  (Yes, he will arrive on his due date because everything else has worked out exactly as I've planned so far- please send the dripping sarcasm in that phrase.) 

Overall, I have felt very lucky that this pregnancy has not been so tough.  I've avoided morning sickness and nausea for the most part - meat is disgusting, but it is now getting better.  I have continued to work out and every test seems to be normal and healthy - I hope that continues to be the case.

3 comments:

Diana @ Bug N Bubbles said...

Wahoo for you!!!
I'm so excited for you two. What an awesome adventure you have ahead of yourself. HUGS!!!

Calerich said...

So happy for you! I understand that shock. Will have to tell you the story of my last little guy sometime. He was a huge surprise, even more of a bigger surprise was that he was a he and not a she. I think we need a dinner out again! I know I could use it! Be sure to invite me to the shower.
And you will be a wonderful Mom! He already loves you, I know it!
Congrats!!

Calerich said...

Oh and so happy to see you blogging again. I have missed your updates!

Books read in 2009

  • The Great and Terrible, Vol 6 (Clear as the Moon)
  • The Great and Terrible, Vol 5 (From the End of Heaven)
  • The Great and Terrible, Vol 4 (Fury and Light)
  • The Great and Terrible, Vol 3 (The Second Sun)
  • The Great and Terrible, Vol 2 (Where Angels Fall)
  • The Great and Terrible, Vol 1 (The Brothers)
  • A Free Life by Ha Jin
  • The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Favorite Thoughts

"Our values develop our character & our character creates our destiny. When we're out of touch with our values, we are blown like autumn leaves, caught up in mindless routines...but when we affirm our guiding values, our lives are inspired by our deepest beliefs." ~Diane Dreher, Ph.D. Your Personal Renaissance

"Nothing is a waste of time." ~Rodin

"To know life is to love many things." ~Vincent Van Gogh

"...when pain is over, the remembrance of it often becomes a pleasure. One does not love a place the less for having suffered in it, unless it has all been suffering..." A. Elliot in Persuasion by J. Austen