So I have no idea where this post will go. So many thoughts running through my head...
First observation: I think this is one of the first times I have been on the laptop since Baby Toad was born. I seem to get in such a rut that getting on the computer (which is too much of a pain to turn on and is downstairs and lonely and stealing the laptop from Big Toad seems to difficult and besides, he's "working."
Second random thought: Baby Toad is over 8 months old. Time has gone by so fast. We seem to have a good schedule down -- although, just when I say that I decide it needs "tweaking" and it all get messed up again. Right now is one of the first times that I have been in his presence and he has sat and played quietly. Normally (even just an hour ago) he sees Mom and cries to be held. I'm a sucker and always give in. Who wouldn't want to snuggle with the cutest baby ever? Besides, I have lots of "mother's guilt" that I don't pay enough attention to him.
He wakes up around 7:00 every morning. I feed him, dress him and then go to the basement to work while I leave him on the floor and say "shhhh? every two minutes. He generally gets tired around 9:00 and down for a nap he goes. By the time he wakes up I have left for work (and Big Toad his home -- I didn't want you to think I just abandoned my child by himself.) I may have some level of incompetence when it comes to this mothering thing, but I'm not criminal. I go off to work and after my long day is done, go to the gym. We do a swap -- I take Baby Toad home while Big Toad works out. I get a little time to bathe baby, fix dinner, get showered, feed Baby Toad and put him to bed, eat dinner, watch some random show and go to bed all to do it again. All in all I get about 3 hours "quality" time with my baby. So sad. Yet sometimes, it is just the right amount.
There are some things about this whole mothering thing that I am comfortable with. There are a lot that I have absolutely no clue about. Who would have thought food would be such a difficult thing. At first I figured I'd make my own baby food. I gave up on that thought when I realized I didn't know what to feed him. Just let good 'ol Gerber take care of it. The problem was decided which "stage" he was in. Did we start too late? Is he stage 1 or 2. Now he's starting to "crawl". Is he a crawler (stage 3) or still a sitter (stage 2)? Do I feed him 3 meals a day? Do I feed him food in addition to his bottle? Can he get by without ever having juice?
I've read babies shouldn't have cow's milk until 1 year old. If so, why is yogurt and cottage cheese ok now? Then I get so confused by all the "research" that comes out for adults and how it relates to infants and children. The Paleo diet says dairy, starch, sugar, legumes are the root of all evil. Does my baby really need rice cereal -- or any cereal for that reason? Research shows that Soy messes with hormones and that bread will make you fat.
The one thing I'm grateful for, is that so far, Baby Toad is a good eater. Probably because I am starving him to death. (He's chubby enough that I know that's not true.)
Isn't that sad -- of all the troubles parents face with children, my greatest challenge is whether I'm feeding mine well and enough. I'm so lucky I don't have any "real" problems.
Next random thought: It wasn't that long ago and I do remember my schedule before child, but I feel so out of touch with everything. I don't know what I'd do without my husband. Without him I would have no idea what the polls in South Carolina are doing. (One of the most ignorant State's in the Union, in my opinion.) Or which athlete is doing what, or a plethora of other random things that happen in a day, such as the anniversary of 800,000 Chinese people dying in an earthquake a really long time ago. It's amazing how many times I've been in a conversation and I say "oh yeah, my husband told me about that." Seriously, people must think that I can't find something out on my own.
Third thought: Will have to wait until later. It's 7:30pm -- almost time for Baby Jake to go to bed. He is sad and needs to cuddle and be rescued. More on the rescue later.
15 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment